Who can access services at the Health & Counseling Center?

Any student that is enrolled in the current semester is eligible to receive services. The Health & Counseling Center cannot provide services to family members of students or UNC Asheville staff.

Do I need to have the UNC Asheville health insurance policy to access Health and Counseling Center?

No. All currently enrolled students have access to Health & Counseling Center services regardless of health insurance coverage. UNC Asheville Health and Counseling does NOT bill third party insurance companies. 

Will my insurance be billed for seeking services?

No. Health & Counseling Center office visits are free of charge.

Additional services are offered at a reduced cost. For example, laboratory testing, medical procedures,  pharmacy items, and medical supplies, and contraception.

If you have Student Blue Insurance, all costs assocatied with your visit will be filed for you.

UNC Asheville does not file or bill third party insurance companies.


Do I have to make an appointment to see a medical provider?

Yes, it is important to call the Health & Counseling Center in advance for an appointment. Please call our office at 828.251.6520 to schedule an appointment. There are specific walk-in hours designated each day for students.

Can Health Services fill my prescription?

Health Services has a pharmacy that can dispense medications for short-term needs. 

If you have prescriptions you take on a monthly basis, you are able to have them filled at the following locations. These pharmacies are nearby, within walking distance or can be accessed on the UNC Asheville shuttle route.

  • CVS Pharmacy, 612 Merrimon Avenue 828.253.4350
  • The Medicine Shoppe, 760 Merrimon Avenue 828.255.8757
  • Walgreens Pharmacy, 841 Merrimon Avenue 828.225.5113
  • Rite Aid, 846 Merrimon Avenue 828.252.1866
  • Ingles Pharmacy, 915 Merrimon Avenue 828.255.8949

For control substances, like ADD/ADHD medications, please visit this page.

Who can know that I have been to the Health & Counseling Center?

Health & Counseling Center services are completely confidential.

Our integrated treatment team is inclusive and information may be shared within the Health & Counseling staff to maintain continuity of care. No one outside the Health & Counseling staff may know that you are seeking services here without your specific written permission unless it has been disclosed that you or someone else is in imminent danger. Any release of information that is signed by the student regarding academic and financial information DOES NOT apply to health and counseling services.

What kind of counseling is provided?

Students come in with a variety of concerns including family and interpersonal relationship difficulties, stress management, anxiety, depression, anger, personal growth, and self-esteem building just to name a few. Counseling services include: individual counseling,  group support, emergency services, and case management services. The Career Center and Advising and Learning Support can assist you with concerns regarding career counseling and academic counseling.

How do I make an appointment to see the Health & Counseling Center psychiatrists?

You must first meet with a staff member of the Health & Counseling Center to get a referral. Our psychiatrists are on-site and the cost is included in your student health fee, meaning that you are not billed separately.

If you miss your appointment or if you do not cancel 24 hours in advance, you will be billed $25.

What are my rights & responsibilities as a student seeking services at the Health & Counseling Center?

What is a psychological emergency?

Our same-day psychological crisis services are designed to assist students who are confronting life-threatening circumstances, current or recent traumatic events, and serious mental illness. Some examples include thoughts about harming yourself or another person, needing to be hospitalized, having experienced recent abuse or assault, concern for your own or someone else’s safety, hallucinations, recent death of a loved one, life-threatening withdrawal symptoms from substance abuse, or having experienced or witnessed a traumatic event.

We have crisis services available daily for students dealing with a life-threatening or traumatic event. To determine if you need crisis services, please read the following descriptions and identify any items that apply to you:

  • I am currently so upset that I may be unable to keep myself or others safe.
  • I have a current plan to attempt suicide or to harm someone else.
  • I have been physically or sexually assaulted within the last few days.
  • Someone close to me has died within the last few days or I have just received some extremely difficult news.
  • I am having strange experiences such as hearing voices or seeing things that others do not.
  • I have knowledge of another person being abused or assaulted.
  • I am experiencing life-threatening withdrawal symptoms.
  • I have witnessed a traumatic event within the last few days.

What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?

Friends are often the first to notice something might be not be quite right. You can call Counseling Services and request to speak with a counselor regarding what you have noticed in your friend and what you may be able to do about it. We ask that you make an in-person appointment to discuss your concerns but we are also open to phone consultations.

If your concerns are noticed after office hours, please call our FREE after-hours nurse hot line at 1-888-267-3675