Search the events in the UNCA Now app for therapy dogs to stay up to date on when they are coming!
Do you have a therapy dog? Register it with Health and Counseling to bring your dog to our events!
It’s well-known (and scientifically proven) that interaction with a gentle, friendly pet has significant benefits.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Releases endorphins (oxytocin) that have a calming effect
- Diminishes overall physical pain
- The act of petting produces an automatic relaxation response, reducing the amount of medication some folks need
- Lifts spirits and lessens depression
- Decreases feelings of isolation and alienation
- Encourages communication
- Provides comfort
- Increases socialization
- Reduces boredom
- Lowers anxiety
- Reduces loneliness
**content taken from pawsforpeople.org**